Sunday 8 July 2012

Vassilieff


Theoretical Matter
Neil Taylor
I like discovering new things I know nothing about. Anyway me and the Mrs went to Heide Museum of Modern Art the other day. There's cool stuff there like the sculpture (particularly Rings of Saturn and Theoretical matter),
Rings of Saturn
Inge King
gardens, architecture and of course great Australian paintings. So there was a lot to see but the main exhibition wasn't so great I liked half of it the other half was well...... shite, The Mrs didn't like any of it one bit. I've even forgotten his name Willdon or someone. Next was some great photos by Albert Tucker of his friends, artists, bohemians and family. Including one pic of a young Mirka Mora being v raunchy Then we went into the modern architectural house which is incredible in itself then I started noticing the art on the walls and was loving it. I was thinking it was probably by all sorts of different famous artists but no it was all by one Danila Vassilieff a Russian guy who came out to Australia to live in 1935 He spent some time in Sydney doin urban pics in Surrey Hills and some bush paintings then by 1937 he started painting Melbourne urban street scenes in Fitzroy & Collingwood many with people in them. It was all soap box derbys, corner shops, school playgrounds, paperboys and even a great one of Victoria Parade. This was the world that my great grandad, grandpa and my Dad were part of. I was lovin it. Then in another room I noticed in the corner of a painting the Avoca Paddle Steamer which meant he'd spent time in Mildura and by the looks of things he didn't dig it too much. I was really starting to feel this guy. He got a job in the mid 50s at Mildura High School. Some of his most disturbing work comes from this era as well as time spent in Swan Hill. By the 70s & 80s when I was living there I don't think it had changed much from when he spent couple of years there. There was a creepy and violent vibe of conformity. Anyway I bought his book can't wait to read it all. I think maybe he was torn between urban life and the bush. It's good to see that Mildura Arts Centre owns some of his pieces. I wonder how well his art went down at the time? So it was a great discovery for me and a little excitement. Oh and the food was great too.


Blue Shop
1938
I'm guessing somewhere in Fitzroy/Collingwood


Mildura Wedding 1954
I've been to a few. Not as dramatic as this though.

I walked down there today
Victoria Parade 1937
Hasn't changes that much really.

No comments:

Post a Comment