Wednesday 4 July 2012

Martin P Casey Bassman

Shit I totally forgot about him. There's probably hundreds of tracks he's done and he's usually playing something beautiful, melodic and understated but he can also burst into the spotlight and be bass king. On early tracks like Native Bride, Dear Miss Lonely Hearts and Beautiful Waste he is doing the sweet and melodic thing as well as subtly driving those songs forward.


He's definitely the star of the show on that one. How evocative is it?! Also always reminded me of Blondie for some reason. That bass and keyboard combo is the sound of Australia's debilitating midsummer heat.
Hell Of A Summer
The Triffids



Here is Martin upfront again with a splendid jazzy almost fever like thing goin on.
My Baby Thinks She's a Train
The Triffids



Marty starting to get downright dirty and a little fonky. Totally fuckin suits him.
Property is condemned
The Triffids



Grinderman
I Don't Need You To Set Me Free
Not a dissimilar bassline to that Bad Seeds track Messiah Ward but this one is more to the fore.
Casey could come round and play that bassline for an hour and then I'd still want an encore. Kinda psychedelic, swirling and circular. His style is definitely unique and very versatile. You'd want him in  your group for sure. So cool.


* I could go on posting Triffids/Bad Seeds/Grinderman tracks all day. This is just a sampler of the great mans work that came off the top of my head. I didn't even get to Born Sandy Devotional or Let Love In.

No comments:

Post a Comment