Monday 19 December 2022

Sonido Amazonico - Los Mirlos/Los Wembler's de Iquitos


LOS MIRLOS 
It's been 20 years since this tune turned up on the great Vampi Soul compilation Back To Peru. Honestly it feels like longer. Anyway it's summer time so we gotta have the Peruvian cumbia tunes at the ready. Once upon a time I used to spend my summer holidays sipping cocktails in the tropics. It all seems like a dream now. The last 10 years have been a bloody health nightmare. I need to dream in hope that maybe soon I can at least make it out to the backyard and have a cold beer with old friends. This classic 1975 recording from Los Mirlos is on at least 3 compilations in my collection.


LOS WEMBLER'S DE IQUITOS
The original version of Sonido Amazonica from 1974 appeared on the Decibel label. I read recently about a beef between Los Wember's de Iquitos and Los Mirlos that maybe ended up in a seven year court-case or something insane like that. I can't actually confirm if that's true because I now can't find the source. What we do know for sure though is that Los Mirlos became famous and much more successful than Los Wembler's after recording a couple of their tunes including today's theme tune Sondido Amazonico. It all seems pretty shonky. 

I do realise I've got this all arse about but the Los Mirlos version is the one we all know and love but hey the Sanchez brothers of Los Wembler's were there right at the beginning of Peru's electric conversion of cumbia in the 60s alongside fellow pioneering legends Los Destellos and Juaneco Y Su Combo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment