Friday 30 December 2022

Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine


Heard Welcome To The Machine for the first time since the 80s this year and can't believe how fucking great it is. The outa control swathes of noise-y synths combined with that lovely 12 string strum, bass pulse and those tormented vocal vibes are just the ticket for epic ominousness and silly self-seriousness. I'm sure millions of you (well at least the three people who still read me blog) are cringing at me right now, saying "you took your time getting here man!" 

Barring Syd-era, I always thought Pink Floyd were too middlebrow for me. The 70s were Can or Abba, Bolan or Beefheart, Black Sabbath or Bee Gees. I didn't hate Pink Floyd I just never actively listened to them. They were still hanging around being lame when I was a teenager circa Momentary Lapse Of Reason thus were easy to ignore. I also never had that clichéd rite of passage where I went all in on the discovery of pot. I never owned my own bong or bought a quarter or burnt incense trying to mask marijuana smoke from my parents while looking at my Bob Marley poster and listening to David Gilmour soloing for eternity into the abyss...aww I know this is too so sad.  

Anyway I thought maybe one day my Pink Floyd time would come. I thought I'd missed my chance though as its been 30 years since discovering and digging the delights of other English proggers and space rockers Van Der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Gong, Hawkwind etc. Hopefully there's much Pink Floyd goodness to discover... I have vague recollections of Wish You Were Here and Animals being good, however it wasn't that long ago that I gave Dark Side Of The Moon another chance and I just couldn't stomach it at all...we'll see...

*Roger Waters has coincidentally been on the radar in 2022 because he is one of the few anti-war voices (alongside Max Blumenthal, Glenn Greenwald, Jeffery Sachs, Jimmy Dore) who understands the bullshit western media propaganda surrounding Zelensky and the retarded lies of the American war machine. We're expected to believe nonsense like "Putin blew up Nord stream" or "Zelensky is Churchillian" which is hilariously absurd. We all marched in opposition to the invasion of Iraq in 2003, two hundred thousand of us in Melbourne, I recall. They invaded then committed war crimes anyway. Since then what? Let the anti-war movement recommence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment