Tuesday 14 November 2023

Miles Davis/James Brown


Miles Davis - So What (1959)
Somebody asked me the other day who are the five greatest music artists ever. I could only come up with one which was Miles.  


James Brown - Cold Sweat (1967)
Then the next day when the question came back to me in my head the only other one I could say for certain was James Brown.

Cold Sweat really is a funky-fied version of So What innit. Does everyone know this?

Anyway I think the story goes that they were jammin' on So What and it morphed into what would become known as Cold Sweat, inventing funk in the process. Whether that's the exact moment funk was born I dunno but if I had a DeLorean with a flux capacitor and could attend just one jam session from the twentieth century that would probably be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment