Monday 13 November 2023

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady


Charles Mingus - Mode D-Trio and Group Dancers/Mode E- Single solos and Group Dance/ModeF-Group and Solo Dance (1963) 
I don't have a Marantz semi-audiophile set up like I did twenty seven years ago so a lot of the nice jazzy jazz (cool, hard-bop and post bop) I've been listening to just isn't cutting it, particularly the bass. I need to get a real hi-fi again! Something raucous with grunt like Charlie Mingus on The Saint And The Sinner Lady (1963) is much better because it's unapologetically in your face in the most delicious way. God it even sounds alright on me computer. I forgot that this LP is genius. 

I remember seeing a Charles Mingus documentary at the film festival around maybe 1999 or 2000 but I recall almost nothing about him or his music. All I recollect was that he was a part Chinese, part Swedish and part African American and he was pretty grumpy. So all I really know is the barmy music I had on a handful of tapes of his classic late 50s and 60s albums. However I don't think I ever knew that this record was like his Bitches Brew ie. his engineer Bob Simpson, under the direction of Charlie, was using the studio as an instrument and pioneering splicing in jazz six years before that Miles Davis/Teo Macero watershed moment. Apparently more than fifty edits were used. This involved cutting and sectioning the magnetic tape with razor blades and putting it back together with sticky tape and somehow making it sound seamless.

  

Charles Mingus - Track C Group Dances (1963)
As mentioned in a previous post Charlie hated the term jazz as did a lot of his fellow musicians. The record company decided to market this LP as "ethnic folk dance music", it's definitely my favourite ethnic folk dance album. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady contains the spirit of ye olde New Orleans with the most infectious serpentine bluesy jazz infused with touches of Spanish guitar, improv, folk, classical and musique concrète. The whole commotion is like a defiant convulsion. It's an ecstatic blast of clashing tones teetering on the edge of chaos and collapse. A dazzling noise with a gloriously disorienting atmosphere only comparable to My Bloody Valentine.  


Charles Mingus - Track B Duete Solo Dances (1963)
Roll up. Roll up! Every track's a winner! For premium performance of your best interpretive jazz ballet. You too can be a star!


Charles Mingus - Track A Solo Dancer (1963)
Amongst The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady's euphoric cacophony there is a turbulent undercurrent. A sort of the harrowing beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment