Saturday 3 June 2023

The Plagues - I've Been Through It Before


The Plagues - I've Been Through It Before (1966)
My current favourite 60s tune of the last 25 years. Teen fuzz and scuzz. The best.

The Plagues had it going on here alright. All the elements perfectly coalesce. Those drums are just electric and the array of fuzz oh my. The astounding synergetic tight-loose-ness of it all. The doom-y teen aguish and petulance of the lyrics delivered in such a sullen tone. The insidious melody, the bass, the push and pull of the pace, the synchronous backing vocals...it's all in the right place, flawlessly. 

Captivating. 

I wanna fall out of love just to feel this song even more.

This was The Plagues second single and was released in 1966 on the Fenton label out of Sparta, Michigan. I've Been Through It Before later turned up on that early 80s bootleg series The Chosen Few and then in 1998 on a volume of Teenage Shutdown

You gotta love that a high school group from Lansing mid-Michigan made this immortal tune of adolescent love gone sour. 

"You expected me to 
believe, every word you said 
but now those words are dead"

How fucking cool were these kids?

As far as 60s guitar driven doomed pop goes it doesn't get better than this. If you don't believe me, play this three times in a row and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment