Tuesday 24 October 2017

Young Thug


I totally slept on this one from Mr Thug in 2017. He still has greatness within him. I mean, I quite like the new album he's done with Future Super Slimey and now I'm going back to Beautiful Thugger Girls, which is sounding better by the minute. Not that I ever gave that album much of a chance. While he's not as astonishingly surprising, as he was say four or five years ago, he's still remarkably unique. Young Thug is probably for me the best thing vocally in the 2010s. Someone asked a question a while ago, at maybe Dissensus, on who is the most innovative musician of the the 2010s and I had a few ideas but this guy is surely the most idiosyncratic vocal talent of the last five or six years.

An amazing thing is that nobody's come up with a literary way to describe what it is (as far as I know), which is good. I'm actually trying not to come up with an easily describable term for what he does because then he will just become describable by that little phrase that someone comes up with. I do half wish I could put it all into words but it's a struggle. I find writing about music, sonics and their evocative nature comes a lot easier. There was someone who once wrote about Bob Dylan and all his vocal changes over the years, maybe they could do it. I kinda can't see an old Rolling Stone/Creem type of writer being seduced by Young Thug but you never know though. One thing is that Young Thug's vocal science is all organic as opposed to fucked with in the studio or by a computer/phone/autotune. Does this make him some sort of roots artist? Sure his voice has also been fucked with by technology too but he could survive without it. Thug has invented a whole new language/syntax in vocals and singing. At this moment he is just mercurial....

No comments:

Post a Comment