Thursday, 23 July 2026

Chrome - Zombie Warfare (Can't Let You Down)


[1979]
Scuzzy Acid fried surreal space rock musique concrète. 

The soundtrack to your horrifying nightmares becoming reality. 

Chaotic junkyard psychedelic noise recorded by a couple of deranged cyber-punk sailors of the mind. 

The astonishing psycho-geographical sound of a lysergically altered brain.  

Far out man.

Really though you need to listen to the Half Machine Lip Moves LP in its entirety in one sitting. Zombie Warfare out of this context is strange... well I mean it's already strange but it's weird for me hearing it on its own not surrounded by the rest of the album's insanity... so...


[1979]
I was only seven when this came out so I missed it at the time. In the early 90s we knew of this record because Chrome had been mentioned by groups like Butthole SurfersPavement, Jesus Lizard and I'm sure a few years later Steve Albini wrote about Half Machine Lip Moves once in Melody Maker. However finding their records or cds in Melbourne was hard because they were out of print so for many years I only had a tape of this with the previous album Alien Soundtracks on the other side thanks to an old friend and bandmate. Now all you young folk and late-comers have it all immediately available at your fingertips which is kinda cool but also kinda weird because you didn't have to invest the money, time and travel to gain the knowledge to anticipate getting a hold of and eventually listening to such a coveted artefact. Also renting music on streaming sites is an odd and poxy concept. You really need to own the music otherwise you don't own the music, know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment