Tuesday 29 May 2012

Separations

I've never been a completist. The Pixies and early 90's Mercury Rev were probably my most complete collections. I collected all the singles and extra bits of Mercury Rev's first few years but then they released a rarities record Lego My Ego. So what was the point if they were just gonna show up neatly collected at a later date anyway. The Pixies LPs plus the B Sides collection (what was the point of collecting all those 12"s)  is all you need innit? You could maybe chuck in a live record but do you really need it? So I still don't have The Purple Tape but one day I'll see it and go great and get it and go I can't believe I never had this.......So what I'm saying is I don't mind having holes in my record collection, in fact I'm kinda proud of it. It's probably healthy too.......you know less obsessive. Has anyone ever listened to that triple CD set of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' b sides and rarities in its entirety? I actually pulled out of a purchase of that one, put it back on the shelf. The Smiths are probs my favourite British group ever but I don't have the complete discography. At the moment I don't own a copy of Meat Is Murder. I had it once but I never thought it was any good. Was it poorly produced? Bad songs?.......can't really remember. Anyway since it disappeared (several robberies, ex girlfriends, friends, sharefucking houses-take your pick) many years ago I haven't bothered to get it again. Maybe I should get it...........



Anyway the reason I'm bangin' on about this is because I bought Pulp's Separations this week and I'd never heard it in full ever before. Now Pulp were probably my favourite British pop band of the 90s and I'd had all their 90s records one way or another but never this one. Had the CD of His n Hers, had a taped off a friend copy of Different Class on tape, an ex had Intro, had a VHS of The Park Is Mine, I burnt a copy of We Love Life from the library blah blah blah.............Anyway Separations is fabulous, can't believe I never had it for all these years. This is the record where it all started to gel. You could still hear hints of Gainsbourg, Ferry, Walker and Cohen but with added disco and sexy monologues a la Hayes/White. This is where Pulp become Pulp. On their following records you wouldn't spot an influence-it was just Pulp. It's hearing the moment of a band coming together and hitting on something great. So thanks to Owen Hatherley who wrote the previously mentioned (on this blog) Uncommon. This fantastic book has sent me on this path. Uncommon is about the records of Pulp and the world contained therein. Not a tedious biography interviewing Jarvis' next door neighbour from when he was in Infants 3 (er.....that's grade 3. The Mrs is Welsh) or Russell Senior's mum's best friend before he was born etc.......



 

Blur V Oasis
The winner was always Pulp.

1 comment:

  1. Todos los post bastante agradables, comentarios divertidos como los de
    Separations, a good laugh . very beast RIP DONNA SUMMER , 2000 hits!!
    Y este para mi el mejor de todos, Les Rallizes Denudes segĂșn mi criterio.
    See you latter my friend,

    ReplyDelete