Wednesday 22 February 2012

YTT & Geordie Shore

I was excited for the first episode of The New Young Talent Time, relishing the thought of "who am I gonna hate the most? Will I like any of them? How long before I switch it off?etc.  It was an anticlimax.  I didn't irrationally or rationally hate any of them.  The contestants were even good.  How disappointing!  I'm sure it'll get worse but I just don't care.

Geordie Shore however, fuck me I hated every single one of them.  Sometimes I liked Charlotte but why did she like that tosser?  What horrible people!  Is it designed to make us go 'gee me and my friends aren't that bad after all!'  That's probably quite clever if that's the idea behind it. It does seem doubtful. Whether it's intentional or not I would say that this is a big part of the attraction of these types of shows for many of their viewers.  I'm getting an idea for an essay here I better stop.  The producers have tuned into the zeitgeist of how their viewers need to feel intentional or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment